Golf is a sports game in which individual participants or team try to hit a small ball into special holes with the help of golf club. What is important is that the ball need to be rolled into the holes. With the help of the small number of strokes as possible.
1. History of Golf.
2. Rules of Golf.
3. History of Golf Tournament.
History of Golf
The exact date of the emergence of golf is usually, but it is believed that it was invented Scottish Shepherd. Who tried to roll into the rabbit holes in the staff. Although many historians disagree with this, there exist the opinion that golf originate in the Roman Empire. This game was played with the ban stick and the ball full of feather. According to other theories, golf appeared in China, during the roll of Ming Dynasty. This is proved by the scroll with an image of the emperor. Who is trying to hit the ball into to holes with something like a golf club.
However, modern golf originated from Scotland. The first mention of the game is considered to be the decree of 1457 issued by King James II of Scotland to ban golf. As it distracted archer of training. In this country, there was also invented the rules and the system with 18 holes of the golf courses.
Rules of Golf
The earliest known Rules of Golf were drafted by the Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers in March 1744, which consisted of only 13 rules as follows:
- You must Tee your Ball within a Club’s length of the Hole.
- Your Tee must be upon the Ground.
- You are not to change the Ball which you Strike off the Tee.
- You are not to remove Stones, Bones or any Break Club, for the sake of playing your Ball, except upon the fair Green within a Club’s length of your Ball.
- If your Ball comes among watter, or any wattery filth, you are at liberty to take out your Ball & bringing it behind the hazard and Teeing it, you may play it with any Club and allow your Adversary a Stroke for so getting out your Ball.
- If your Balls be found any where touching one another, You are to lift the first Ball, till you play the last.
- At Holling, you are to play your Ball honestly for the Hole, and not to play upon your Adversary’s Ball, not lying in your way to the Hole.
- If you should lose your Ball, by its being taken up, or any other way, you are to go back to the Spot, where you struck last, & drop another Ball, And allow your adversary a Stroke for the misfortune.
Other rules of golf
- No man at Holling his Ball, is to be allowed, to mark his way to the Hole with his Club, or anything else.
2. If a Ball be stopp’d by any Person, Horse, Dog or anything else, The Ball so stop’d must be play’d where it lyes.
- It’s you draw your Club in Order to Strike, & proceed so far in the Stroke as to be bringing down your Club; If then, your Club shall break, in any way, it is to be Accounted a Stroke.
- 4.He whose Ball lyes farthest from the Hole is obliged to play first.
- Neither Trench, Ditch or Dyke, made for the preservation of the Links, nor the Scholar’s Holes, or the Soldier’s Lines, Shall be accounted a Hazard; But the Ball is to be taken outand play’d with any Iron Club.
Today’s Rules of Golf
For many years, there were two sets of Rules, codified by the USGA and The R&A. Beginning in 1952 the two groups standardized the rules, publishing a new set every two years, usually with some minor changes. However, it was not until 1990 that the two sets of Rules truly became one. Golf is a global game and now The R&A and USGA issue a single set of Rules to apply worldwide to all golfers.
The latest edition of the Rules was published from January 2019 and brings the Rules up to date to fit the needs of the game today. This edition was the result of the Rules modernisation initiative and are written in a modern and plain style and language. The Rules are comprehensive and provide.
History of Golf Tournament.
The most prestigious and popular profeesionnal tournament including the following:
- The Olympics games. Golf was included in the program on the Olympics Games in 2016. Before that, golf was that the Olympiads only 2 times (1900, 1904).
- The master tournament into the four tournament in the golf major series. It is similar to Grand Slam to tennis.
- Use open is the golf championship held in the United States.
- The open championship is the oldest compitition which is held in Britain. The four tournament in the golf major tournament.
- Profeesionnal Golf Accosiation championship ( PGA championship) is an annual golf tournament held by the professional Golfer’s Association of America.
Games similar to golf called ‘ chuiw an – played with several club and a ball aur being played in china during the song dynasty.
The origin of the modern game is usually traced to Scotland. In the 15th century.
The Scotland passed several acts Benning the practice of the game along with football (Soccer). Because the two sports were interfering with archery practice, which was necessary for national defence. The first act was passed in 1457 by James II. The king of Scotland, and it was reaffirmed in 1457 and 1497.
The ban on golf in Scotland is lifted with in two years king of James IV of Scotland take up the game himself.
Mary Queen of Scots reportedly play golf just day after the murder of her husband Lord Darnley.
King James IV as ascends to the English throne and his course begins playing golf at Blackheath in London.
The first reference to golf ball being to stuffed with feathers. They were previously made from herd leather.
The first rule of golf are set out by the Honorable company of Edinburgh Golfer’s.
St. Andrew’s golfer is formed by the society. It became the royal and ancient golfers club in Andrew in 1834.
In the old course of St Andrew’s is reduced from 22 holes to 18 holes. This became the recognised format for the game around the world.
Gutta percha ball in introduced. It was the solid ball, made by softening strips by gutta percha. In balling water and then moulding ball by hand before placing to the cold water to Harden.
In the first open championship is played at plestwick and his won by Willie Park Senior of Scotland.
Persimmon becomes a popular wood for making club head.
United States Golf Accosiation is formed by New York and One of its most important function was to serve arbiters for questions at ameteur status. The five charter mamber of newly from the United States Golf Accosiation and were the St Andrew’s golf club of Yonkers, N Y. Newport (R.I). The country club in Brookline, Mass, and Chicago Golf club in Weston.
First professional Golfer’s Association in formed in the UK.
PGA of America is formed and the US PGA championship is played for the first time at Siwanoy country is Now York.
The Rider cup is played for the first time between the men’s professional of great Britain and the USA at Gleneagles. It is won by great Britain.
The Walker cup is played for the first time between the men’s ameteur for great Britain and Ireland. And the USA at the national golf links of America in Southampton, New York. It is won by USA.
Steel shafted club are accepted by the R&A.
Bobby, complete the Grand Slam for the open, The Ametuers championship. The USA open and the Amatuer championship is one season.
1934: The inaugural Master is staged as Augusta National. It is won by Horton Smith of the USA.
1946: The US woman open is played for the first time Spokane country club of Washington. It is won by Patty Berg of the USA.
1950: The Ladies professional Golfer’s Association is formed in the USA.
1955: The LPGA championship is played for the first time at Orchard Ridge country club. It is won by America Beverly Hanson.
1964: A friendly match between the American curtis team and France is expended invite to other international team to established a Woman’s World Ametuers championship. The trophy was provided by Mrs Espirito Santa Silva through the Portuguese Golf Federation. A total of 25 team took part in the inaugural compitition at St. Garmain Golf Clubs in France which was won by the home team.
1980: Metal wood made of stainless steel are introduced.
The Evian Master is played for the first time as Evan – les – Bains in France. It is won by Helen Alfred’s son of Swaden.
Meterial sach as graphite, titanium and carbon fibre and tungsten are used to manufacture golf clubs.
The World Amateurs Golf council becomes the international Golf Federation.
The international Olympic committee votes in favour of golf returned to the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.
The 150th anniversary open championship takes place on the old course at St Andrew’s.
Golf was played at the Olympic at Rio de Janeiro for the first time in 112 years.